From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>, "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposal: use only one hash function in manifest files
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 00:26:03
1 > On 6 Apr 2022, at 01:15, Jason A. Donenfeld <zx2c4@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi Sam,
4 >
5 > On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 2:02 AM Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
6 >> This matches my views and recollection. We could revisit it
7 >> if there was a passionate advocate (which it looks like there may well be).
8 >>
9 >> While I wasn't against it before, I was sort of ambivalent given
10 >> we had no strong reason to, but I'm more willing now given
11 >> we're also cleaning out other Portage cruft at the same time.
12 >
13 > I think actually the argument I'm making this time might be subtly
14 > different from the motions that folks went through last year.
15 > Specifically, the idea last year was to switch to using BLAKE2b only.
16 > I think what the arguments I'm making now point to is switching to
17 > SHA2-512 only.
18
19 Oh, right. I see!
20
21 (Aside: I should've been clearer in my first email, what I meant was: I'm
22 fine with revisiting this, but I remember us feeling kind of lacklustre because
23 even the proposer (mgorny) ended up not having the oomph to push it through
24 given (small) opposition. I don't recall who had the stiff opposition at the time,
25 but I do recall it was only small, but nobody really felt like it was worth the hassle.
26
27 The overall Council feeling was "meh" without some momentum.)
30 > There are two reasons for this.
31 >
32 > 1) Security: since the GPG signatures use SHA2-512, then the whole
33 > system breaks if SHA2-512 breaks. If we choose BLAKE2b as our only
34 > hash, then if either SHA2-512 or BLAKE2b break, then the system
35 > breaks. But if we choose SHA2-512 as our only hash, then we only need
36 > to worry about SHA2-512 breaking.
37 >
38 > 2) Comparability: other distros use SHA2-512, as well as various
39 > upstreams, which means we can compare our hashes to theirs easily.
40 >
41 > A reason why some people might prefer BLAKE2b over SHA2-512 is a
42 > performance improvement. However, seeing as right now we're opening
43 > the file, reading it, computing BLAKE2b, closing the file, opening the
44 > file again, reading it again, computing SHA2-512, closing the file, I
45 > don't think performance is actually something people care about. Seen
46 > differently, removing either one of them will already give us a
47 > performance "boost" or sorts.
50 I think this seems pretty reasonable and I don't have any objection to it.
51
52 2) is a nice point and it's something Robin raised last time around too.
53
54 > Jason
55
56 best,