From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sed vs gsed
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:28:04
1 On Wednesday 25 January 2006 03:21, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 25 January 2006 02:23, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > If there are any hardcoded calls to /usr/bin/sed, it is reasonable for
4 > > you to ask for them to be fixed. For any others, use a wrapper script.
5 >
6 > I think the wrapper script idea was turned down by someone from portage
7 > IIRC. Anyway it's not exactly the cleanest solution: while it would have an
8 > immediate effect with no work required, it will increas, and not decrease)
9 > the number of "assumption" portage does. I think this is one of the worse
10 > things that can be done at this point.
11
12 what kind of "assumptions" ? the kind where we, as ebuild writers, assume the
13 system tools have a lot of features ?
14
15 assuming `sed` in Gentoo is a GNU/sed is just fine by me
16 -mike
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list