From: Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com>
To: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Open Build Service
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 21:09:40
1 Hi,
4 On 11/14/2017 10:04 AM, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
5 > Well, Gentoo is a Meta Distribution, and it's binary instantiation usually
6 > does emerge on the users machine(s). So users actually do have their private
7 > binary distribution - either with or without caching the binary packages.
8 > (In my opinion, a binary distribution is little more than a cache for binary
9 > packages, to avoid the need for compilation resources on the target machine.)
10 >
11 > Of course there is chance that users do have identical profile setups (USE flags,
12 > optimization flags, etc.), which is where OBS (or similar) indeed feels useful.
13 >
14 > Rather than sharing binary packages, an idea is to share Gentoo user's profile
15 > setups - with the cache for binary packages to be optional (yet powered by some
16 > open build service). Note that some USE flags disallow binary packaging at all.
17 >
18 > Wouldn't we gain something like a "Social Linux Distribution Network" then?
19 >
20 > /haubi/
21
22 I think that proposal would be awesome to be achieved!
23 I like very much the idea. I'll review that.