From: Julien Allanos <dju@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla handling for maintainer-wanted things
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:00:26
1 Quoting Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>:
2
3 > Currently, things assigned to maintainer-wanted get the following
4 > keywords (bugzilla, not ebuild):
5 >
6 > * EBUILD if an ebuild is attached
7 > * REQUEST if an ebuild is requested
8
9 Ah. I didn't know this was part of the bugzilla policy.
10
11 > I've been going through the EBUILD list at random and providing lists of
12 > things that need to be fixed before the ebuild can be considered for
13 > inclusion. The WONTFIX resolution along with a comment asking for the
14 > submitter to reopen with a fixed ebuild is used when problems are found.
15 >
16 > Note that I'm being pretty strict about quoting, style etc, partly
17 > because one easy way of improving tree QA is by making sure that new
18 > entries are of a high standard and partly because it would be nice for
19 > herds to be able to get a perfect, probably no changes needed ebuild.
20 > Sure, some of the existing tree is far from ideal, but that's no excuse
21 > for adding new shoddy things.
22 >
23 > What I'd like is a new keyword (bugzilla, not ebuild) for indicating
24 > that a developer has done a check on an ebuild and is satisfied that
25 > the ebuild is fine from a style perspective. This does **not** mean
26 > that the developer has tried to actually merge the package. There're
27 > all kinds of things for which I can say "the ebuild looks good", but
28 > not so many for which I can say "the ebuild looks good and installs
29 > something that works", since a lot of them have insanely long
30 > dependency lists or specific hardware requirements. Can anyone suggest
31 > a name? Best I can come up with is STYLE_CHECKED(nickname)...
32
33 Good idea. That means one could distinguish:
34
35 1/ Freshly submitted ebuilds that haven't been looked at yet (open bugs,
36 assigned to maintainer-wanted, where keywords field contain the EBUILD
37 substring but doesn't contain the STYLE_CHECKED substring),
38 2/ Submitted ebuilds that have already been looked at, but need some
39 rework to be added to the tree (closed bug, resolved as WONTFIX,
40 assigned to maintainer-wanted, CC-ed to the concerned herd(s), where
41 keywords field contain the EBUILD and the STYLE_CHECKED substrings),
42 3/ Submitted ebuilds that have been verified with success, but haven't
43 been tested nor included int the tree yet (open bugs, assigned to
44 maintainer-needed, CC-ed to the concerned herd(s), where keywords
45 contain the EBUILD and the STYLE_CHECKED substrings).
46
47 That makes a lot of things to remind when changing bug states.
48
49 > Hopefully it will reduce herd loads significantly if it can be ensured
50 > that they're only sent high quality ebuilds...
51
52 Can this be added to the bugzilla-howto, whatever the final decision is?
53 Imho, there are several points missing in this howto, like security
54 status whiteboard policy (which can be found in the Vulnerability
55 Treatment Policy), keywords policy (I wasn't aware of the EBUILD vs
56 REQUEST for maintainer-wanted) and priority (how is it really used?).
57 That would be great, especially for new developers as well as users to
58 better understand what's going on with the bugzilla.
59
60 Furthermore, could the bugzilla bug lifecycle
61 (http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/2.18/html/lifecycle.html) be referenced
62 in the bugzilla-howto, or even better, updated with Gentoo workflow
63 characteristics and included?
64
65 Any comments? Thanks,
66 --