From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new developers' keyword requests
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 13:34:37
1 On 20/05/16 14:11, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 >
3 >> keywording for a new arch should normally only be done when necessary,
4 >> mainly if it is a direct dependency of another package. There is no need
5 >> to keywor it for an arch until it has been tested on that arch by some
6 >> user / developer ... certainly not because some committing developer
7 >> think it is nice to have all arches listed just in case.
8 >>
9 > I should actually elaborate on this (in addition to fixing some spelling
10 > errors..), something to the line of "There is no need to keyword it for
11 > an arch until it is being _used_ by some user/developer on that arch"
12 >
13 My understanding as a prospective maintainer and dev, was that when you
14 write an ebuild, you keyword the arches where /you personally/ have
15 successfully built the package as ~arch . If you as maintainer or a
16 user(s) then request stabilisation, that is where the arch teams, arch
17 testing, etc. come into play. The only exception (if any!) is where
18 amd64 and x86 often have an overlap whereby if it builds on one ..
19 there's a good probability it will work on the other.
20
21 As far as fresh *new* arches to Gentoo, is this really a thing?! Surely
22 we need a body of maintainers willing to support a new arch, and a new
23 'team' forming for such purposes, for bug fixes, stabilisation, etc.
24
25 Sounds to me rather a case of simply misunderstanding what the KEYWORDS
26 actually means and does in the context of Gentoo as a distro, else I've
27 got the wrong end of the stick somewhere ....