From: "Dawid Węgliński" <cla@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating EAPI0
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:14:28
1 On Saturday 21 of March 2009 21:53:16 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On Saturday 21 March 2009 21:21:47 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:37:12 +0100
4 > >
5 > > Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > To make our lives easier I would suggest deprecating EAPI0 and
7 > > > migrating existing ebuilds over some time to EAPI1 or higher until
8 > > > EAPI0 can be obsoleted at some point in the future.
9 > >
10 > > Uh. Why?
11 >
12 > Because, as you have noticed before, developers get confused which eapi has
13 > which features available. And eapi1 is a superset of eapi0, so we don't
14 > have to rewrite tons of things.
17 Spend more time to teach them. It's easier to developers make sure they do
18 things ok than users spending their time to figure out what's wrong.
19
20 Personally i don't like the idea of deprecating EAPI0 since it may break many
21 servers. Eg. our border router at work isn't upgraded regulary. I spent much
22 time lately to upgrade it with problems like portage vs. bash and so.
23
24 So the last thing i'd like to see now in portage is implementing your
25 proposal.
26
27 > > Introducing a policy encouraging moving things that definitely aren't
28 > > in the least bit likely to be a system dep on a bump, sure. Making 1 or
29 > > 2 the default for new packages, sure. But rewriting existing things?
30 > > That's just an accident waiting to happen.
31 >
32 > What kind of accident do you expect to happen?
33 >
34 > Patrick