From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] obs eclasses
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:59:13
1 On 09/13/11 16:44, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 15:02 Tue 13 Sep , Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
3 >> Excerpts from Joshua Kinard's message of 2011-09-13 14:26:02 +0200:
4 >>>> You don't need -n/-z with [[.
5 >>>>
6 >>>> [[ $var ]] == [[ -n $var ]]
7 >>>> [[ ! $var ]] == [[ -z $var ]]
8 >>>
9 >>> What about other comparisons, like -f, -e, or -d?
10 >>
11 >> Same as inside [, but no need of quotes inside [[.
12 >>
13 >>> Also, is this a bash4-only thing, or bash3 and/or bash2 as well?
14 >>
15 >> I'm not sure.
16 >>
17 >> OT: When I was going through recruitment process, dberkholz pointed to
18 >> me that I use things bash4-only. And again: why we need to stick to
19 >> ancient 3 version? I would understand pseudo POSIX compatibility, but
20 >> what is the benefit of bash3 compatibility while bash4 is stable
21 >> already?
22 >
23 > It's because people want to pretend that it's possible for incredibly
24 > outdated systems (those with bash-3 only) to be updated.
25
26 Actually it's worse - PMS enforces this, and the only clean way out is
27 to patch/fix/extend PMS to allow bash4 - but that breaks compatibility
28 in silly ways.
29
30 The proper way to handle that? I'm not sure, since we had a long fight
31 to get PMS to acknowledge bash 3.2 instead of 3.0 I'm mostly ignoring
32 PMS as it doesn't care about reality.
33 >
34 > We're stuck in this limbo because "we" have apparently decided that just
35 > waiting a year, as we used to do, isn't good enough anymore; but at the
36 > same time, we don't have a better mechanism in place yet. So we're
37 > waffling around, doing nothing.
38 >
39 That's not quite correct for this case, but it shows that we need to
40 discuss destructive changes (in the sense that they are not
41 backwards-compatible etc.) to have any decent progress