From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 01:19:44
1 On 16/10/16 06:30 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Saturday, October 15, 2016 4:10:51 PM EDT Kent Fredric wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Yeah, I get the intent, but I don't see it being likely we'd ever have
5 >> a real usecase for having both a -bin and a -gbin in tree together.
6 >
7 > You actually came up with one I was not considering at first but provides a
8 > direct technical benefit you cannot achieve with a USE flag.
9 >
10 >> If anything, I'd imagine if that case arose, it would manifest itself more
11 >> as:
12 >>
13 >> icedtea-bin + USE=official
14 >
15 > Then how would you test that against non official? You cannot install the same
16 > package twice at the same time with different USE flags. You can't even make
17 > binaries easily of the same package with different USE flags. The previous
18 > binary will get overwritten.
21 *IF* we were going to make use of upstream vs gentoo-generated binary
22 packages in the tree, they *WOULD* block one-another as they would
23 collide file-wise at least partially if not completely. So there
24 wouldn't be any testing between the two variants on the same installed
25 system.
29 > Maybe the upstream binary runs better, does not crash, etc. Or the Gentoo one
30 > does. If the Gentoo one is better, it could be used to get a reluctant
31 > upstream to make changes. If worse could be used to help figure out where its
32 > going wrong.
33
34 OK, so here's how things *actually work* in the gentoo repo:
35
36 #1, binary packages aren't made unless there's a really good reason
37 for them -- the primary one being that there isn't any other option
38 provided by upstream.
39
40 #2, if there is a binary package then the only reason why a gentoo dev
41 would roll it instead of using upstream's version is because the
42 upstream one fails hard or has too many bugs, security
43 vulnerabilities, whatever. This is as much done on a per-version
44 basis within a package as it is on a per-package one.
45
46 All of this discussion is centered around trying to bring convention
47 to a problem that simply doesn't exist. Also, if the idea here is to
48 open the door for a flood of gentoo-dev-rolled *-bin packages in the
49 gentoo repo for end-user convenience, then we should similarly stop
50 this discussion right now too. How about, instead, you could focus on
51 setting up two (additional) repos -- one containing gentoo-built
52 binary packages, another containing upstream-only packages. That way
53 it'll be very obvious to end-users what they'll be using because
54 they'll know exactly based on where it comes from. It'll also be very
55 easy for end-users to control which one is used, just by choosing
56 which repo it comes from. AND, it'll keep them from polluting the
57 main gentoo repo too.