From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:11:12
1 >> I'd like to see, that bootstrap.sh unmerges any old gcc
2 >> (emerge -C \<${gcc package that we just compiled})
3 >> so that a clean system is built with gcc 3.4 only!
4 >
5 > Nope. We don't want to remove that choice from the user. We are
6 > working now towards the 2006.0 release, which means GCC 3.3 will not be
7 > present in the stage1 tarball. Basically, wait for 2006.0, or follow
8 > the standard steps to switch compilers yourself. It's not like we're
9 > forcing you to keep both compilers. ;]
10
11 As i wrote in my other post:
12 there is no choice! boostrap.sh does what it does:
13 - installs gcc 3.4
14 - leaves the gcc 3.3 from the stage1 tarball unchanged
15
16 So actually the first packages compiled by "emerge -e system" are
17 compiled with the gcc 3.3 which came with the stage1 tarball.
18 And that "emerge -e system" updates gcc 3.3 - well, that is only a
19 side-effect of other things!