From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Is it possible ...
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:43:45
1 An interesting idea ... rather than wipe my mandrake 8.1 system, can I
2 copy portage, and its tools over and gradually replace mandrake with
3 gentoo. I realise anything mandrake specific will break big time, but
4 it seems possible, in theory at least to remove mandrake packages then
5 emerge the gentoo versions. All X stuff will probably have to go in one
6 lump, but system stuff should be OK - its easier to fix problems one at
7 a time with full control than start from scratch. Eventually I would be
8 in a position where only a ghost of Mandrake would remain.
9
10 Why? I want to keep using my system whilst this is going on - being out
11 of action for a week or more whilst I first load the OS and then
12 configure it to my customised requirements is not so attractive - then
13 neither is the similar time frame to wipe and install mandrake 8.2, so I
14 am looking for a shortcut!
15
16 Has anyone tried something like this ... and been successful? I suspect
17 I will have to start with things like gcc, python etc and go drom there.
18
19 BillK
22 Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>