From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 10:16:35
1 On 08/12/2017 12:22 AM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 >
3 >> Q. But what if I maintain firefox, and I need to change IUSE?
4 >>
5 >> If the IUSE change isn't important, just make the new revision in a
6 >> branch and wait to commit it later when there are more changes
7 >> piled up. If it is important (like if its default value changes
8 >> RDEPEND), then it would have required a revision anyway.
9 >
10 > Please stop trying to force workflows on people. Using that same logic,
11 > I can make the IUSE change in-place and it would be propagated in the
12 > next version bump.
15 I'm not trying to force anything on anyone, I'm just asking for
16 feedback. If it turns out to be a stupid idea, then so be it.
17
18 If it's understood that you can make IUSE changes but that they'll only
19 be propagated on the next version bump, then there would be no problem.
20 But we're about to document a policy that says it's OK to do things that
21 wouldn't normally be OK, because --changed-use is there to save us:
22
23 The examples of changes that can be done without a revision bump are:
24
25 ...
26
27 * adding a new USE flag or removing an existing one (since change
28 in USE flags is going to trigger --changed-use rebuild),
29
30 If developers operate under that assumption and if you don't use
31 --changed-use, you're going to run into problems eventually.
34 >> * emerge runs a bit faster.
35 >
36 > Why will it run faster?
37
38 The developer now indicates that IUSE has changed, so portage doesn't
39 have to figure it out on its own.