From: flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' =?utf-8?Q?Petten=C3=B2?=)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Removing .la files...
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:18:48
As those who _did_ ask me directly why I decided to do this did not
think it was worth mailing - as they didn't - I suppose I should chime
in now.

Leaving alone what Petteri already said, this was intended to be a
change on a series of single packages, the domino effect that happened I
didn't foresee, on my system it was just a matter of five packages and a
quick look at the revdeps didn't show _such_ an effect. Well maybe I
expected a few problems with libogg, but yeah that doesn't seem to be
the problem here, the problem seems to be with popt. For what popt is
used (parsing of command-line options) I didn't expect it to creep in in
so many libraries.

And as the problem does not break any system - systems will still run
perfectly - and can be solved with ease - just run a revdep-rebuild - I
did consider this a pretty minor drawback on the whole.

libogg and popt are now masked, and they'll wait a bit before return to
~arch that way. libmpcdec, libmad have very few library users so I don't
expect major problems with those and I left them untouched. Same for
libpam which should really _not_ be used by libraries beside a few very
rare cases, if it was there is something _very_ broken.

Probably the best thing would be to get a better tool than
revdep-rebuild to handle broken .la files, as revdep-rebuild forces a
timewasting rebuild, while a good fix could be just a sed -i -e
's:/usr/lib\(64\)\?/lib\(.*\).la:-l\2:' on all the .la files, installed
and being-installed.

By the way, asking a question is not poisonous.

"Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o> writes:

> Especially since even though removing .la files might make sense (with > exceptions, of course) we should think about either doing it > distribution-wide or not at all.
Can't be done distribution-wide, as stuff would break way worse than this for sure (stuff is not going to link, or will fail at runtime). You _have_ to do it on a case-by-case basis. -- Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò http://blog.flameeyes.eu/