From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /var/lib/init.d/* vs. pidfiles
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 19:54:07
1 * Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > I'm going to stop you right there.
6 > Before claiming design problems in the init system, you could at least
7 > have the good grace to try out the most current available in portage
8 > where you would know
9
10 Well, I just sync'ed and `emerge -puD system` doesn't show up anything
11 todo, and I didn't mask out anything. So can I assume my init system
12 is up to date ?
13
14 > 1) status is now in /lib/rcscripts/init.d/{started,starting,etc}
15
16 Not at my site, just checked it.
17
18 > 2) A simple status call to the init script checks running daemons and
19 > returns either 0 or 1 appropriately allowing a sys admin to report on
20 > crashed services and possible take an automated action.
21
22 Yes, of course. But that's not what I'm actually looking for.
23 Recently I had the problem that some service died, which was necessary
24 for another one. While trying to start the other one, I ran into
25 trouble since the init system didn't know about the died service.
26
27 If the lookup would go directly to checking things like pidfiles
28 (where applicable) instead of the flag files, such problems would
29 (IMHO) be entirely fixed.
32 cu
33 --
35 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
37 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
38 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
39 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
40 http://patches.metux.de/
42 --
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list