From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mikemol@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:24:02
1 On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:12:14 -0400
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés
5 > <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
7 > > wrote:
8 > >> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
9 > >> wrote:
10 > > [snip]
11 > >>> Debian uses initramfs-tools...
12 > >>
13 > >> AFAIK, neither genkernel nor dracut were expected to get tied to
14 > >> the Gentoo update process. Has that changed?
15 > >
16 > > The kernel you are running (if you update your machine) is not tied
17 > > to the Gentoo update process. The *source code* gets installed, but
18 > > the kernel source remains unchanged in /usr/src/whatever. It's the
19 > > user responsibility to configure, compile, and install the kernel
20 > > (and then update LILO, grub-legacy or GRUB2). It can be automated
21 > > with (ta-da) genkernel, but it's not "tied to the Gentoo update
22 > > process".
23 > >
24 > > I really don't see that much difference with needing to also update
25 > > the initramfs, if needed.
26 >
27 > What if your DNS resolver in your rescue shell has a vulnerability?
28 > What if wget, links or whatever network tools you use during recovery
29 > have a vulnerability?
30
31 What if whatever tools you have in rootfs have a vulnerability and they
32 are statically linked so that we don't have to move half of the system
33 into rootfs?
34
35 > > Because, besides, if your /usr is not in a different partition, you
36 > > don't even *need* an initramfs. In that case not using an initramfs
37 > > is supported by all upstreams.
38 >
39 > And what of /var? /opt? The problem with the /usr merge upstream is
40 > that someone didn't think things through when they pushed it, and the
41 > same reasoning used to justify it easily justifies changing the way
42 > /var and /opt are treated.
43
44 What with them? /var has a special place of its own, and I don't see
45 why it is brought here.
46
47 /opt is a defined prefix. Like /usr is. Moving anything into or out of
48 it is a completely separate topic.
51 Best regards,
52 Michał Górny