From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: leho@×××××.com, linux.gentoo.dev@××××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: an eclass for github snapshots?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:26:05
1 On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:25:38 -0700 (PDT)
2 Leho Kraav <leho@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Monday, May 30, 2011 9:30:02 AM UTC+3, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Right now, a quick 'grep -l github.*tarball' shows that there are
7 > > about 147 ebuilds in portage using github snapshots. This evaluates
8 > > to 83 different packages.
9 > >
10 > > The problem with github is that it suffixes the tarballs with
11 > > a complete git commit id. This means that the `S' variable
12 > > in the ebuild needs to refer to a long hash changing randomly. Right
13 > > now, the problem is handled in a number of ways:
14 > >
15 > > 1) (from app-admin/rudy)
16 > > 2) (app-emacs/calfw and suggested solution for Sunrise)
17 > > 3) (app-misc/bgrep)
18 > > 4) (app-misc/tmux-mem-cpu-load)
19 > >
20 > > What I'd like to do is creating a small github.eclass, encapsulating
21 > > a common, nice way of handling the S issue. I guess the best
22 > > solution would be to git with something like 2) above, with the
23 > > eclass providing github_src_unpack() for EAPIs 2+.
24 >
25 > What is the current situation with this one? Every once in a while I
26 > run into a github ebuild I need to create and I am not really sure
27 > what to do with it.
28 >
29 > Right now 2) seems like the safest approach. But did anything get
30 > into EAPI?
31
32 You mean eclass? I submitted one for review but didn't get much of
33 positive feedback on it. I'll commit it anyway soon, just let me double
34 check and do some testing.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny