From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:34:58
1 On 02-10-2007 09:48:06 +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > > What is your rationale to say that "pure sh" is a "bonus"? Especially
3 > > given the environment this is used in as ferdy already pointed out?
4 >
5 > The bonus is that it works on shells other than bash.
6
7 I give you a big chance Solaris' or AIX' /bin/sh won't grok this stuff.
8
9 > > I personally like consistency. So if we use bash in ebuilds, then I'd
10 > > like to use bash in eclasses too. I'm interested in your motivation to
11 > > make this eclass "pure sh", whatever that may mean.
12 >
13 > I like consistency too, and I'll be pushing for using sh instead of
14 > forcing bash.
15
16 I admire your courage.
17
18 > My motivation? Simple. I don't believe that the portage tree should be
19 > locked into using one shell. I believe that vendor lock-in should happen
20
21 "vendor lock-in" is an interesting term to mention here, as bash is open
22 source, and I think (I'm not a lawyer) free to use as long as you want,
23 and modifyable if you like.
24
25 > at the social level, not the technical one. portage itself was a lock-in
26 > until until PMS came about, now I'd like to remove the lock-in from the
27 > tree itself. This in itself is a good thing as we can pick and choose
28 > the tools we want to use as they're all playing on the same field.
29 >
30 > This same rationale applies to scriptlets outside portage tree use, such
31 > as revdep-rebuild [1]. It's more of a bashlet, but I've also
32 > demonstrated that there was no reason to force bash there.
33 >
34 > Obviously there are more lock-ins than just the shell, but it's a good
35 > start.
36
37 Given my own "history" I have a hard time to believe you are persuing
38 the right track here. It may or may not be a secret that I currently do
39 the complete opposite of what you're trying to do -- so far with a good
40 lot of success, especially given the number of completely different
41 platforms.
42
43 Question from me to you is, whether your vision is just to get (Free)BSD
44 working seamlessly with Gentoo, or whether you also look beyond your
45 current scope to the "Meta Distribution". This includes the benefit of
46 moving from bash to POSIX(?) sh as standard kit to interpret the meta
47 information. Changing init.d scripts is one thing, changing the
48 definition of how the meta information should be read is another thing.
52 Fabian Groffen
53 Gentoo on a different level
54 --
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list