From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] questions of semantics in ebuild.sh
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:01:06
1 When ebuild.sh is called to perform one of the steps of a merge, it mostly
2 uses one of the dyn_* functions to perform the task. The dyn_* function,
3 in turn, usually does some prepwork, calls a pkg_* or src_* function,
4 and does some followup. My questions are in regard to the meaning of
5 those prefixes. The "pkg_" and "src_" prefixes seem descriptive enough,
6 but unnecessary. Why were "src_unpack", "src_compile", and "src_install"
7 chosen vice "pkg_unpack", etc.? What does "dyn" refer to, anyway?
8
9 I know these questions probably seem rather pointless, but those names
10 mean (or meant) something to somebody. I am trying to understand what
11 the designers of Portage were thinking to help me understand how Portage
12 works.
15 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
16 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
17 --Ghost in the Shell