From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Reviving GLEP33
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 17:49:00
1 On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 10:27:32 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > As for 'blatant hack', if you've got no users nor preexisting ebuild
4 > data, you can design whatever you want- it's quite easy to call
5 > things blatant hacks if you can design things from scratch and not
6 > worry about compatibility. This is a form of armchair quarterbacking.
7
8 No it isn't, since we've proposed a working alternative that doesn't
9 have any of the defects that EAPI in its current form does.
10
11 > EAPI did not have that luxury however, thus a pragmatic solution was
12 > choosen. I've heard a lot of bitching from various folk about EAPI
13 > over the years, but the fact is even with it's flaws (both in
14 > process, people involved, and in original constraints) it still has
15 > been rolling changes out- all the while without requiring people to
16 > rewrite ebuilds from scratch, or continually track an unversioned
17 > format that changes semi-monthly.
18
19 You appear to be confusing "providing a better replacement that we can
20 use immediately that doesn't have any of these problems" with
21 "bitching".
22
23 > It'd be nice if people were to remember that rather than spending
24 > their time bitching about it. Hindsight, I'd have done a few things
25 > differently, but that's the nature of hindsight- specifically I
26 > would've used an eapi function rather than var.
27
28 That's ok. We can migrate to an even better solution now.
29
30 > Whether said people like it or not, it was a known decision at the
31 > time of creation- including the scenario under discussion. One thing
32 > you'll note about my posts is that I'll list out what is possible,
33 > and state what should/shouldn't be done. Just because I personally
34 > think something is complete shit doesn't mean I go telling folk it's
35 > impossible. There's a difference between opinion and fact- you're
36 > excusing opinion stated as fact, which is not correct. Fact is, this
37 > technique does work even if certain folk have another approach they
38 > want instead.
39
40 The *fact* is, you can't use new version formats with any of your
41 proposals, and using new global scope functionality or new bash
42 functionality introduces all kinds of nasty difficulties and arbitrary
43 restrictions of which developers have to be intimately aware.
46 Ciaran McCreesh