From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proliferation of IUSE=static-libs in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 20:16:43
1 On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 16:40:44 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > So, developers, please *stop adding USE=static-libs* to random libraries
5 > that have no reason whatever to be statically linked to.
6
7 Sorry, I like a lot of your ideas but I'm with the others on this one.
8 I have, on the rare occasion, used these flags for various reasons.
9 They don't do any harm for the majority not using them. If someone does
10 encounter issues through using them then they are free to deal with
11 those themselves. Better that than not even having them available in
12 the first place. They are welcome to provide fixes where necessary and
13 maintainers are equally welcome to drop these flags as they see fit.
14 Such a decision should not be forced upon maintainers.
17 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
18 Gentoo Linux Developer