From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo package statistics -- GSoC 2011
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 18:29:32
1 On 17:19 Wed 08 Jun , "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > On 6/8/11 4:36 PM, Vikraman wrote:
3 > > I'm working on the `Package statistics` project this year. Till now, I
4 > > have managed to write a client and server[0] to collect the following
5 > > information from hosts:
6 >
7 > Excellent, good luck with the idea! I think that better information
8 > about how Gentoo is actually used will greatly help improving it.
9 >
10 > > Is there a need to collect files installed by a package ? Doesn't PFL[1]
11 > > already provide that ?
12 >
13 > Well, PFL is not an official Gentoo project. It might be useful, but I
14 > wouldn't say it's a priority.
15
16 I would love to see it happen, but it's more important to roll out a
17 minimal working solution now and add on later.
18
19 By combining installed files with USE flag settings, this project could
20 actually attempt to factor out which USE flags result in which files in
21 an automatic fashion. That would address one of the biggest objections
22 many people have had to such a package-to-file search engine.
23
24 It would also be pretty useful for some other GSoC projects, like the
25 ebuild generator and the auto dependency scanner.
28 Thanks,
29 Donnie
30
31 Donnie Berkholz