From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 12:39:32
1 Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 07:14:56PM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 >
5 > > Here is an alternative to the package.mask concept. We can start tagging
6 > > packages in the cvs tree. So by default you whould checkout the latest rc
7 > > instead of the in development versions. If you want to add a development
8 > > version to your system you can checkout manually. Instead of using the
9 > > gentoo version number for tagging we can use "stable" for all packages not in
10 > > development. This should be sufficient for the beginning, but in the future
11 > > I think we need to use the version numbers. The past shows that it is a nice
12 > > idea to have an allways up to date system, but some updates can create lots
13 > > of unexpectable bugs. To avoid messing up all our users system, we can
14 > > instead maintain our different releases separate and make only security fixes
15 > > to them. So you can allways have a secure rc4,rc5 1.0 1.1 ....
16 >
17 > I'm not a big fan of cvs, so I'd rather avoid using cvs to handle different
18 > versions of Gentoo, except as a last resort. In the future, I think we'll
19 > probably have a stable and development branch of Gentoo Linux. But I only want
20 > to have a maximum of two (maybe three if we are working on a new stable
21 > release) active, secure branches of Gentoo Linux at any time. If possible, I
22 > think we should look for ways to avoid dividing Gentoo Linux using cvs because
23 > generally this ends up splitting the development team into two camps, or
24 > doubling the work of the active developers such as yourself, because then we
25 > are effectively supporting two separate versions of Gentoo Linux at the same
26 > time.
27 >
28 > Soon, we'll have all the features in Portage to ensure that the *right*
29 > versions of packages get installed (not just the most recent that satisifies
30 > the dependency). If we then focus on ensuring that all the various ebuilds on
31 > CVS will compile under any version of Gentoo Linux, then I don't think we have
32 > a problem anymore.
33
34 And this is less work that maintaining different branches?
35 I think this is MI-3 Odysee-2100 to jupiter. :-)
38 We can have certain expectations as to ebuild compatibility
39 > -- for example, we can make a rule that any Gentoo Linux 1.x ebuild should be
40 > able to compile on any other Gentoo Linux 1.x system (whether "stable" or
41 > "current"). If an ebuild doesn't meet this rule, then this particular version
42 > should be blocked out of the appropriate packages files, i.e.
43 > <=sys-apps/bash-2.05 would block out sys-apps/bash-2.06 or later.
44
45 does this work
46
47 !sys-apps/bash-2.04
48
49 if I only want to use bash-2.04 and no other version?
50 You know, never touch a running system. :-)
51
52 achim~
55 > But until we reach version 1.0, we shouldn't even be thinking about creating a
56 > "stable" or "unstable" branch of Gentoo Linux.... everything on cvs is
57 > "unstable" (technically) at this point. Or, as the BSD people prefer calling
58 > it -- "current".
59 >
60 > --
61 > Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>