From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:37:59
1 On Thursday 28 August 2003 19:44, Spider wrote:
2 > begin quote
3 > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:00:13 +0200
4 >
5 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Gnome's configuration does not include a menu system with all
7 > > installed X applications
8 >
9 > No, and this is in many cases a -good- thing. Gnome does not -need- to
10 > provide menu entries for xcalc, xmag, xeyes and a lot of other X
11 > applications. To include theese on a default menu would go against
12 > guidelines and common sense.
13 >
14 But in other cases a not so good thing. (The reason that I like a good menu
15 system to be available)
16
17 > This means that for many such applications a good line of reasoning has
18 > to be added so our default "newbie-friendly" desktop doesn't end looking
19 > like L random User 's desktop did in the year 1997 after 1.5 years of
20 > active installation in windows 95. ie, it would be a clear sodomization
21 > of a good interface.
22 >
23 Certainly, I know the hell of installing in windows. It's not even so much the
24 fact that all applications are installed as the fact that they all want a
25 toplevel presence making a big cluttered menu of software vendors
29 > However, there are some points coming up otherways in the thread that we
30 > have to bring up front.
31 >
32 > 1) No major redesigns of the DE's.
33 > This is important, we shan't make all icons look like different versions
34 > of larry, replace all Foot's , K's and other such things with a G', make
35 > the default to include Gentoo Tip of the Day, add Gentoo.org links on
36 > every desktop, make all desktops install Evolution and add it as the
37 > default mailhandler everywhere "because its the best" .
38 >
39 I wouldn't mind people creating themes with cows in them, and could be
40 persuaded to include them in kde, but I basically agree with you and would
41 not like to go the redhat direction either (especially since their magic does
42 not allways work creating a big mess).
43
44 > 2) We need a consensus and smooth integration of tools. This is the more
45 > important part of a Gentoo desktop. A cdburner shall work for users in
46 > the 'cdrw' group, and preferrably without running a Druid or Wizard.
47 >
48 Couldn't agree more
49
50 > 3) Multimedia.
51 > The various DE's partially integrate their own multimedia
52 > applications, but theese all use common backend libraries.
53 >
54 There are also multimedia applications that are not tied to DE's at all so I
55 think we need a multimedia subproject too.
56
57 <cut>
58 >
59 > 4) Menu's
60 > There's a lot of controversy here. I want the installation of such a
61 > system to be a consious act and preferrably kept off per default.
62 > (genmenu is a good example here. very good even.)
63
64 I agree, and I believe that is the direction the people who are working on it
65 are going to.
68 > 5) extra-DE integration.
69 > This mainly belongs upstream, as DE's move towards common standards
70 > this is something we can lean back and reap the fruits of.
71 >
72 Certainly, but there sometimes is more then just DE's, what about the many
73 more standalone windowmanagers.
76 > 6) intra-DE modifications
77 > I'm all for the various DE's implementing or removing features, as
78 > long as its maintainable, and sane. Adding highstrung pipedreams that
79 > can't be made to work properly is not our thing. Leave this to
80 > Mandrake, SuSE and RedHat. They are good at it.
83 Certainly.
84
85 <cut>
86
87 > 8) Extra
88 > What needs to be made work though, is a consistent set of graphics to be
89 > made avaiable, and perhaps default. Fex, the GRUB loader should have a
90 > graphics design similar to the framebuffer background, as well as the
91 > GDM and KDM + elogin themes.
92 >
93 my idea of the vanilla flag would be for this kind of thing. To have the
94 default gdm theme being the default instead of the gentoo one (which I like).
95
96 > This sort of branding is not intrusive on the user (framebuffer
97 > background is the most intrusive one, and should and could well be
98 > disabled by default)
99
100 > 9) Decisions and communications
101 > All theese things need to be properly discussed and in the open. I was
102 > shocked to find out I suddenly got a manager who thought I was to run my
103 > decisions about including applications to the Gnome desktop by them, as
104 > well as the idea of a single uniformed Gentoo desktop is completely
105 > -appalling- to me. In this regard the ruling cabal (ie, management)
106 > have flunked completely and their actions , and more
107 > importantly, inactions are to be questioned. This whole process could
108 > have been dealt with far nicer.
109
110 For me the final decision has not been made yet, but I believe there is a need
111 for a -desktop toplevel. For the gnome and kde teams I guess its main role
112 would be coordination, not making all kinds of decisions the gnome team is
113 capable of making.
114
115 Paul
118 Paul de Vrieze