From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 14:06:25
1 On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 03:27:37 -0700 "Daniel Robbins"
2 <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > If those reasons no longer apply, then your developer status should be
4 > handed back. You can't "sorta" participate - you're either in or
5 > you're not, and it looks like you're in. Right now it seems like you
6 > are fully engaged as a developer in an official Gentoo project.
7
8 Which would be worth what, for me? As far as I can see, there's
9 absolutely nothing for me to gain by being labelled an "official Gentoo
10 developer", and an awful lot to lose. I'd have to start playing by
11 arbitrary senseless rules that encourage lying and politics rather than
12 honesty and correctness. I'd have an obligation to go and fix all the
13 stuff I used to maintain in the tree that's been neglected because of
14 all the people in certain herds being inactive or resigned. I'd have to
15 start fixing all those QA bugs I filed that are being ignored by
16 package maintainers rather than just leaving them in bugzilla. I'd have
17 to deal with an obsolete version control system that takes three hours
18 to update. I'd have to go back to using a broken package manager that
19 doesn't do many of the things I require.
20
21 You speak of it as though being a Gentoo developer is a privilege
22 rather than a responsibility. As far as I can see, the only people who
23 consider it an honour or something to be proud of are those who really
24 shouldn't be developers at all. This should be about getting things
25 done, not about silly labels.
26
27 > Presumably, you were kicked for non-technical reasons.
28
29 I was kicked for suggesting that a) ppc-macos was breaking the tree,
30 staffed by people who don't know what they're doing, a QA nightmare and
31 damaging to the project, b) that pathspec was vapourware and
32 conceptually completely broken, c) that the forums were encouraging
33 ricing by letting users discuss insane kernel patchsets and absurd
34 CFLAGS in the main fora, and d) that Portage development has by and
35 large stagnated and that Portage can't deliver the things people
36 require.
37
38 Funny thing... If you go back and look at those issues now...
39
40 > I'm not trying to get you kicked as much as I'm trying to determine
41 > whether there are still clearly-defined rules for Gentoo development
42 > that are enforced in any meaningful or consistent way.
43
44 Were there ever?
47 Ciaran McCreesh
48 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org