From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB and establish and API for exporting this information.
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:41:09
1 On 08/31/14 08:26, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 16:02:51 -0400
3 > "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I've written a GLEP which outlines a standard for what information
5 >> should be stored by any package management systems (PMS)
6 >> in /var/db/pkg (VDB) and mandates some API for exporting it to other
7 >> tools [1].
8 > The problem isn't what the information is. It's the format.
9
10 That's not the point, the point is specifying what information should be
11 cached and exported. NEEDED.ELF.2 is cached by portage but not
12 paludis. Developers writing tools that make use of a PM's VDB should
13 know what they can expect from VDB and how to get at it. You can use any
14 format you like (plain ascii or some db format) as long as its
15 exportable to other tools.
18 >> The need to do so was discussed in the Council during the
19 >> 20130910 meeting [2]. During that meeting, the council focused on
20 >> NEEDED.ELF.2 which is recorded by portage, but not paludis. Linkage
21 >> information is generated during package builds, is expensive to
22 >> recalculate and is needed by other packages like revdep-pax for PaX
23 >> marking ELF objects.
24 > This isn't relevant to ebuilds.
25
26 The point is that developers writing tools that make use of a PM's VDB
27 should now what's there. A quote from the council minutes: "The council
28 discussed if the contents of the VDB should be specified for
29 interoperability between utilities, ..."
32 >> I've aimed to make the GLEP open to how each PMS team wants to
33 >> implement this without being too vague. We should also consider
34 >> carefully the list of items we want cached although we could always
35 >> update this list later.
36 > This isn't a specification...
37 >
38 Correct. How you implement this is up to you to make your life as easy
39 as possible. What is specified in the GLEP is what information should
40 be cached and that a clearly documented API be produced.
43 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
44 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
45 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
46 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
47 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA