From: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:14:59
1 Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> said:
2 > Ryan Phillips wrote:
3 > >git - terrible with lots of tiny little files
4 >
5 > Can you provide some evidence to support this?
6 >
7 > I posted in more detail on SCMs elsewhere today.
8
9 Sure.
10
11 git only allows commits from the project parent. Meaning that if
12 there was a project laid out like:
13
14 portage-tree/
15 some-package/
16 some-package-1.0.0.ebuild
17 xorg/
18 xorg-1.ebuild
19
20 If I am in the portage-tree/xorg directory, I would be unable to do
21 a cg-commit. Git only commits from the parent project directory, so I
22 would have to change back to the portage-tree and do a commit on the
23 entire tree. We should not required that from an SCM.
24
25 Subversion versions each directory. Tha is why one can change into
26 portage-tree/some-package and do svn svn commit. This is different
27 that git, where the entire tree is versioned as one. Make sense?
28
29 Second issue with git, is that with lots of tiny little files things
30 don't work so well. I tried converting our portage tree into a git
31 tree, and it ran for around 2 days until I finally killed it. If we
32 didn't want to preserve history, then maybe it would work out. But
33 with the problem I outlined above I still don't see it as a contender.
34 There are lots of times when one would want to do a commit in one
35 directory.
36
37 -ryan