From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Discussion: alternative compatible utilities
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:29:24
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Don't attempt to ignore the complexity because it sucks and gives you a
5 headache. The complexity of multiple kernels, userlands, arches and
6 platforms exists whether you like it or not. The key being the
7 management of the complexity. Currently the tools perform poorly
8 because it's been primarly GNU userland + Linux kernel + random arches.
9 The first two are easy to take care of and the third has arch teams.
10 Thus we probably need more keywords ( x86-fbsd-bsd...etc it's been said
11 before ) and we need more people to keyword stuff ( arch-kernel-userland
12 ). I think the big issue is to adapt to the new requirements without
13 making the current tools an overpatched mess.
14
15 Part of the issue I see is everyone is only focused on their little
16 problem. X, Y or Z that I need is broken and I need fix foo; it's
17 talked about on IRC, it seems to work, it's implemented. Then a week
18 later someone who wasn't on at time of discussion notes that it broke
19 something and and now needs to be 'fixed'. I think Flameeyes has done
20 a pretty good job keeping everyone informed of Gentoo/fbsd's needs and
21 offering pretty good solutions on how to fix them in a general way. I
22 think part of the problem is that this doesn't happen often enough and
23 we end up with a bunch of hacks that need to be integrated together.
24 - -Alec Warner
25 Ajec
26
27 Dan Meltzer wrote:
28
29 >Well it would be nice to have it all abstracted, wouldn't stablizing a
30 >package get exponetially harder? Not only would each arch need to be
31 >tested, each combination of packages on each arch would need to be
32 >tested, if FEX openpam became usable on linux instead of just
33 >linuxpam, each arch that stableized would now need to say works for
34 >this arch for linuxpam, and works for this arch for openpam, which
35 >would cause lots and lots of keywords mess.
36 >
37 >Or am I misunderstanding your post?
38 >