From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New virtuals for libudev and libgudev
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 20:33:54
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 03/31/2014 01:50 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
5 >
6 > On 30/03/14 23:45, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
7 >>
8 >> Your input will be considered here with all the weight it deserves. My
9 >> mask was to force this discussion on the list and it has done it's job
10 >> well.
11 >
12 > So, you admit breaking the policy of gentoo-dev being a optional ML
13 > for developers[1]
14 >
15 > I really dislike the recent trend of some newer developers trying to force
16 > everything to be discussed here, even if the involved people have already
17 > discussed it elsewhere with relavent people
18
19 Given that the eudev maintainers already said these changes were made
20 without discussing with them, clearly you missed some "relevant" people.
21
22 Additionally, it was only after the added attention which I brought that
23 it was noticed that the udev ebuilds had improper pdepends on the
24 virtual. If not for the added eyes and attention who knows when that
25 would have been caught, likely after stabilization. You are welcome for
26 the bug fix.
27 >
28 > [1]
29 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?full=1#book_part1_chap3
30 >
31 > "3.h. Mailing lists
32 > All developers must be subscribed to the gentoo-core and
33 > gentoo-dev-announce mailing lists. All developers should be subscribed
34 > to gentoo-dev and gentoo-project,"
35 >
36 > *should*, not *must*
37 >
38 > Likewise, http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/virtuals/index.html
39 >
40 > "Before adding a new virtual, it should be discussed on |gentoo-dev|."
41 >
42 > *should*, not *must*
43 >
44 > You can't change the policies on your own without rest of the QA team,
45 > rest of the council, and so forth.
46
47 I didn't change the policy, I felt that your change was important enough
48 that it deserved discussion, especially after bugs were found AND
49 relevant people were mentioning on irc that they were unhappy about
50 being left out.
51 >
52 > QA is for enforcing estabilished policies, not making up them as you go
53 > based on your personal likes and dislikes.
54 >
55 > Futhermore no productive discussion has happened here as you masqueraded
56 > the use of subslotting you supposedly want to be discussed,
57 > to be somehow udev specific.
58
59 I want the the fact that a single package now has one virtual per lib so
60 that proper subslot rebuilds can happen to be discussed. Earlier in
61 this thread, before you divulged into personal attacks, it was discussed
62 lightly. Clearly, no one felt strongly against it, and with this
63 discussion done, I am happy to be out of your way on this.
64
65 > But that's not suprising as you yourself admitted you started all of
66 > this only because you saw the word 'udev':
67 >
68 > Freenode, #gentoo-qa, at the same time you started this endeavour:
69 >
70 > 18:19 <@Zero_Chaos> granted, the udev changes sparked this line of thought.
71 >
72 I know english isn't everyone's first language, but even completely out
73 of context this statement doesn't at all mean what you are claiming it
74 does. I couldn't possibly care less that this was udev related. "the
75 udev changes sparked this line of thought" means that the changes to
76 udev made me think of how using virtuals in this new way could possibly
77 be dangerous. I had previously not noticed the same was suggested (and
78 shot down) for poplar, so this was a completely new idea which had not
79 been discussed anywhere I have seen. Again, now that I brought it to
80 - -dev (after you refused to do so) and no one else seems to care, I am
81 out of your way, and I hope it goes as well as you believe it will.
82
83 > So, congratulations for making the QA team look like a crapshoot once again.
86 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:48
87
88 "In the event that a developer still insists that a package does not
89 break QA standards, an appeal can be made at the next council meeting.
90 The package should be dealt with per QA's request until such a time that
91 a decision is made by the council."
92
93 Per GLEP 48 your actions of reverting the QA mask (the first time) was
94 entirely inappropriate, and your personal attacks on me are even more
95 so. While you flaunt the fact that the rules do not apply to you maybe
96 you should be less concerned with how QA looks and more concerned with
97 how your behavior makes you look.
98
99 We can continue this pointless back and forth for as long as you like,
100 but honestly, there will be no winner, only two losers. Let's just wait
101 for comrel to resolve my complaint against you with no action and move
102 on with our lives. I think we both have better things to do, I know I do.
103
104 Thanks,
105 Zero