From: Eitan Mosenkis <eitan@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo SoC <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>, Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GSoC status] Web-based image builder
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 21:38:21
1 This week has been much slower with the image builder project. I've
2 wrinkled out several issues and generally worked on usability and
3 other frontend aspects. The backend (and frontend) currently handle
4 building a complete tar/gz image and letting the user download it with
5 the user's choice of profile (as in /etc/make.profile), based on
6 available binpkgs repositories, the base system (emerge system), and
7 an arbitrary set of packages (selected from a list derived from the
8 Packages file of the binpkgs repo). The frontend now also supports
9 new user registration. The front end offers fairly complete logs of
10 the build process, including converting ANSI colors to HTML
11 equivalents so logs can be colored too.
12
13 Things to do next week (and beyond):
14 -Invitation-only user registration system
15 -Management of disk space, meaning a good system that can be called by
16 cron to delete old images, logs, etc. that can be assumed to be no
17 longer needed.
18 -Work towards finalizing the database structure
19 -Addition of new options/features in frontend and implementation of
20 said options in backend
21 -Making the frontend more user-friendly
22
23 I'd also like to ask for input from anyone interested, especially
24 anyone who thinks they will use this system once it's public, so I
25 created a forum topic [1] for suggestions, requests, etc.
26
27 Anyone who would be interested in testing out this system if/when a
28 testing server becomes available, please also email me off-list.
29
30 Eitan
31
32 [1] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5830406.html