From: waebbl-gentoo@××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Up for grabs: dev-python/pyside2
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 09:10:34
1 On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:28:49 +0200
2 Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 29/07/2022 13:06, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
5 > > On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:30:20AM +0000, waebbl-gentoo@××××××.net wrote:
6 > >> On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 23:11:08 +0100
7 > >> Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >>> Up for grabs because of inactivity.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> dev-python/pyside2 has several open bugs and a version bump pending.
12 > >>>
13 > >>> Needs some real love to tidy it up.
14 > >>>
15 > >>> Best,
16 > >>> sam
17 > >>
18 > >> Wouldn't it be applicable to put these packages under the umbrella of
19 > >> the Gentoo Qt project?
20 > >
21 > > It still need someone to maintain it either way, qt@ is rather small
22 > > and Qt6 is likely to use up people's time already. Being m-n at least
23 > > make its current state clear (up to qt@ though).
24 > >
25 > >> They're developed, published and hosted by the The Qt Company (in
26 > >> contrast for example to PyQt5 or QtPy) and are only python
27 > >> bindings for the Qt framework, although they're currently distributed
28 > >> in a separate tarball and not with the Qt tarball.
29 > >
30 > > On a side-note I'll be adding PyQt6 to the tree once I can[1], but I
31 > > don't use pyside for anything and probably won't be looking at pyside6.
32 > >
33 > > [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26504
34 >
35 > I've added myself as the maintainer of shiboken2 and pyside2(-tools). I
36 > also added shiboken6 and pyside6(-tools) (masked for testing).
37 > Unfortunately the latter is stuck on python3_10 only at the moment,
38 > adding python3_11 to this is a whole new can of worms.
39 >
40 > Help with these packages is most welcome. They are notoriously difficult
41 > and fragile.
42 >
43 > Best regards,
44 > Andrew
47 Thanks Andrew for taking care of these packages. Like I said, I'd be
48 happy to comaintain the packages and keep an additional two eyes on
49 them.
50
51 In my draft[1] for pyside6, I've also found the python 3.11
52 incompatibility and removed it for further investigation. However, what
53 I noticed, is, that upstream only has compatibility for python3 up to
54 3.10. Closing my draft, now that the package has been merged into the
55 tree.
56
57 [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26782
58