From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving GCC-3.4 to stable on x86
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:35:39
1 On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 17:34 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > As one of the "masses", I am certainly disturbed at that implication.
3 > I don't remember any such need when I upgraded 2.9.5 -> 3.x (now 3.3.6).
4 > This is the kind of issue on which I trust the devs to do sensible things,
5 > but do we really need to rebuild our whole systems from the ground up ?
6
7 Lots of things broke way back then, too. Also, there wasn't even
8 slotted gcc ebuilds back then, so it really is hard to compare. There
9 were a lot of things done in the past that were really broken that we
10 have since learned from...
11
12 > Ordinarily, I upgrade packages individually when it seems appropriate
13 > & never do 'emerge world' with or without '-e' or other flags;
14 > I do 'esync' every weekend & look at what is marked as having changed.
15
16 Technically, you don't need to rebuild world. You only need to rebuild
17 stuff that uses C++ and links to libstdc++.
18
19 > I would very much appreciate a doc somewhere
20 > which explains the advantages of moving to 3.4
21 > & why a wholesale ground-up rebuild is necessary, if indeed it is.
22 > As always, my thanks to those who do the volunteer work.
23
24 Well, the "advantages" are simple. Upstream no longer supports 3.3
25 anymore. They barely support 3.4, but having some support from upstream
26 is better than none. This means 3.3 will be relegated to a legacy
27 version and likely won't be updated except for security bugs.
30 Chris Gianelloni
31 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
32 x86 Architecture Team
33 Games - Developer