From: Bart Verwilst <verwilst@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Portage/Baselayout on CVS/rsync
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:30:51
1 Hi!
2
3 So that solves the QT problem as well?
4 =x11-libs/qt-x11-2* will install the latest qt 2 and
5 =x11-libs/qt-x11-3* will install the latest qt 3 right?
6 Cool.
7 I'll was going to reinstall my Gentoo System today,
8 but i'm going to wait untill the bug in portage is fixed :)
9
10 Nice feature btw!
11
12 Bart Verwilst
13 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
14 Gent, Belgium
15
16 ----- Original Message -----
17 From: "Daniel Robbins" <drobbins@g.o>
18 To: <gentoo-announce@g.o>; <gentoo-dev@g.o>
19 Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 7:55 AM
20 Subject: [gentoo-dev] New Portage/Baselayout on CVS/rsync
23 > Hi All,
24 >
25 > Tonight, I started catching up on my near 15-day backlog of Gentoo
26 > Linux-related mailing list postings, and started hitting lots of
27 discussions
28 > about extensions to the dependency system. This motivated me to add the
29 > long-anticipated "*"-style dependency to Portage, and create a new Portage
30 > release, 1.6.12. It is now on CVS. Here are how the new "*" dependencies
31 > work:
32 >
33 > Let's say you'd like a package to use the most recent 1.x version of
34 freetype.
35 > You can now specify the following dependency:
36 >
37 > =media-libs/freetype-1*
38 >
39 > Or, if you want the latest 1.2.x version of gtk+, use:
40 >
41 > =x11-libs/gtk+-1.2*
42 >
43 > You should only use the new "*" deps with straight version numbers; i.e.
44 no
45 > _alpha, _beta, _pre, -rX, or trailing letters. They only really make
46 sense for
47 > straight x.y.z integer version formats anyways. We will continue to
48 extend the
49 > dependency syntax to keep up with the needs of developers.
50 >
51 > I also added a new version of sys-apps/baselayout (1.6.5) to Portage.
52 This new
53 > release contains important fixes to the /etc/init.d/checkroot and
54 > /etc/init.d/netmount scripts, as well as a couple of other minor
55 improvements.
56 >
57 > Enjoy!