From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] enable UTF8 per default?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:16:33
1 On Tuesday 28 February 2006 12:47, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > It is still optional, just enabled by default :-)
3 Would be enough to be criticized probably, mainly by english-speaking users
4 that doesn't care of extended characters.
5 Although, this would follow also the direction of both Apple and Microsoft,
6 the first providing, the other saying that will provide, an always-unicoded
7 system.
8 That is probably the way to allow an easier access to Gentoo for non-english
9 speaking people, too.
10
11 > So - apart from some users maybe not wanting it, any technical reasons
12 > against?
13 I'll wait for the "clutter" comment by users and maybe devs.
14 I was criticized for enabling unicode forcefully on vlc because of a
15 source-code bug that prevented non-unicode wxGTK to be used to build it,
16 after that I'm always expecting some sort of problem :P
17
18 > > I'd be the first to be interested in having it enabled by default, tho.
19 > Yes, otherwise spelling your name is almost impossible :-)
20 That, and I'm actually trying to find time to learn Japanese :P
21 But time is something I don't have abundant :|
24 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
25 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE