From: Martin Blix Grydeland <mbgryde@××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Use of Xvfb to fool build scripts needing X to compile without should test DISPLAY before changing it
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 06:19:43
1 Hi,
2
3 In media-libs/gdk-pixbuf a nice way to make the building work without X
4 is used using the Xvfb server.
5
6 When I su to root to do maintenance I often set DISPLAY=:0.0 and
7 XAUTHORITY=~myuser/.Xauthority instead of alowing every user on this
8 computer to use X with 'xhost localhost'. (I get nervous when remote
9 login users start peeking at me with xeyes when I am working ;-)
10
11 The gdk-pixbuf ebuild fails on this setup because XAUTHORITY is set and
12 Xvfb then reports 'connection refused'. It is a nice work-around to make
13 the ebuild work without X, but I think it should test DISPLAY and if it
14 is set presume it is OK. If not set, use the work around.
15
16 Best regards
17 Martin Blix Grydeland