From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] package.deprecated to mark packages deprecated and report dependencies
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 17:59:08
1 Hi,
2
3 I like the idea. This will allow the following change in workflow:
4
5 When you now want to last-rite app-misc/foo for example, you would
6 schedule a CI run. I.e. create a pull request against Gentoo repository
7 at GitHub containing your package.mask entry. When the results will be
8 available, you will start filling bugs against packages depending on the
9 package you want to get rid off. Once all depending packages are gone,
10 you will commit the mask. However, this process can take some time and
11 in theory someone could add a new dependency on your package in the
12 meanwhile...
13
14 Thanks to the new package.deprecated file we would have a check in real
15 time against current repository. And once all CI warnings are gone you
16 can commit the mask.
20 Regards,
21 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
22 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5