From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: eblits.eclass
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 22:06:45
1 Hi folks,
2
3 this is my first eclass proposal, so rip it apart gently ;)
4
5 Disclaimer: the work proposed is NOT my own, but rather contributed by
6 vapier (see [1] or sys-libs/glibc) and kumba (see [2] or
7 sys-kernel/mips-sources).
8
9 I propose to add eblits.eclass[2] (attached to this message) with the
10 purpose and author comments from [1].
11
12 A quick grep showed that glibc and mips-sources currently use functions
13 defined in global scope in each ebuild to do the job. The referenced
14 overlays also use eblits to install php-5.3 and this is currently
15 blocking php-5.3 from entering the tree.
16
17 sys-kernel/mips-sources also has comment:
18 # They'll likely be superseded someday by better ideas, possibly elibs.
19
20 That's why I titled this email "RFC" - I realize this eclass might be
21 obsolete in a not to distant future and possibly cause funny behaviour
22 in ebuilds that I'm not aware of.
23
24 So please enlighten me of any problems you can think of that adding
25 eblits.eclass as proposed above would cause. I'd be more than happy if
26 we can get an update on elibs progress, too.
27
28 As the need for such an eclass is very real (we really, really want
29 php-5.3 in the tree!), I want to limit discussion to one week, ending
30 April 18th. If there are no objections, I'll add the eclass after that date.
31
32 TIA, Matti
33
34 [1]