From: Rigo Ketelings <rigo@××××.nl>
To: "gentoo-dev@g.o" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Directory services (was Re: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:58:25
1 Op vr 27-06-2003, om 14:23 schreef Eric Sammer:
2 > Just to add something to my last email about portage and database /
3 > directory services...
4 >
5 > While talking to my wife this morning (a sysadmin and security
6 > professional and fellow gentoo user) about this situation, we realized
7 > something else about portage in openldap. This would (or could,
8 > depending on implementation) severely limit the rsync bottle neck by
9 > allowing for a hierarchy of directory servers to be replicated from by
10 > users.
11
12 I REALLY like this idea..
13
14 > With clever use of referals and replication, you could
15 > effectively remove the rsync issues of bandwidth and the
16 > "stop-syncing-so-often-it's-rude" problem. Updates to portage would be
17 > propagated down the line when commited moving a smaller (but steady)
18 > stream of traffic rather than unpredictable bursts (note: that's an
19 > assumption). This would eliminate the need for 'emerge sync' (in theory).
20 >
21 > Again, this is all very academic as the data to back up these ideas is
22 > out of the public eye (thankfully). Maybe just food for thought...
23 >
24 > Thanks to all devs for all the great work.
25
26 Yup, can't say that enough too ;)...
29 Rogi
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list