From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] re: package management using stow
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:34:04
1 fre 2001-10-12 klockan 01.23 skrev Gold is Heavy:
2 > > Has someone ever thought about using this?
3
4 IMHO, this seems pretty useless in Gentoo. It's almost as easy to write
5 an ebuild for the install as to do it by hand. That is, just make an
6 ebuild and use it to install your own-compiled file. Then it'll be in
7 the package-system and can easily be removed by unmerging the package.
8
9 > Slightly off-topic: If I understand this right, emerge seems to delete the
10 > sources after it is done with the build. I think it would be great if it
11 > could permanently leave the sources installed, as an option, so that you
12 > could tweak them by hand without tweaking .ebuild files.
13
14 The source is left in /tmp/portage/<package>/work/<package>
15 if you want to tweek it just go into the dir, run configure (or whatever
16 you use to configure the package) and then run make.
17
18 use the ebuild with
19
20 ebuild <package>.ebuild install qmerge
21
22 imho it would be nice to split the current src_compile into
23 src_configure and src_compile (where most packages wouldn't have to
24 override src_compile (with default to 'emake || die')).
25
26 Then it could be possible to do
27
28 ebuild <package>.ebuild unpack
29 configure manually
30 ebuild <package>.ebuild compile install qmerge
31
32 Regards,
33 Mikael Hallendal
37 Mikael Hallendal
38 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
39 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden