From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Using gentoo-announce for more routine decision/ebuild announcements
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:11:38
1 Hi all,
2
3 This is a followup on the gentoo-ebuild rhide thread, intented to be more
4 visible than the original thread.
5
6 The gentoo-announce list currently gets a message in a month or two. IMHO
7 it's not very useful that way. Why not open it for all developers to send
8 announcements of medium and high importance?
9
10 This can include various decisions - unified ebuild style, install -> /usr,
11 etc. and announcements of important/interesting new ebuilds and major new
12 versions of existing ones.
13
14 I for one am tired of reading the cvs logs, and as Azarah says, most of us
15 aren't on IRC 24/7 and can't follow all the discussions that take place.
16
17 If you think gentoo-announce is important and should stay as-is, we can
18 create a new list for this.
19
20 In my view the optimal volume would be around 1 message per day, sometimes 2,
21 with the messages being short and succint and any discussions taking place on
22 a different list (gentoo-dev, -user, or the team lists).
23
24 What do you think?
28 Dan Armak
29 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team