From: Paul Varner <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] system profiles, stackable profiles, virtuals, and dependencies
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:01:21
1 On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 03:12, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On 07/25/04 Ned Ludd wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 16:02, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
4 > > > As far as cascading profiles are concerned -- we don't have any way
5 > > > to add custom stuffs to the profiles (yet?).
6 > >
7 > > Sure we do..
8 > > User symlinks his/her make.profile to the right cascading profile in
9 > > ../../usr/portage/profiles/${profile_name} then fills his/her
10 > > /etc/portage/virtuals with all the fun files he/she wants to swapped
11 > > out for what the profiles/${profile_name}/arch/.. would provide.
12 > >
13 > > This combined with a user supplied overlay can be quite powerful for
14 > > rapid deployment and allow for alot of custom build scenarios.
15 > >
16 > Hmm, I must have overseen that mail and ciaranm will probably kick me
17 > for mentioning it, but you always have /etc/portage/profile as the
18 > topmost level on the profile stack with the same rights and duties as
19 > all other profiles, independent if you actually use
20 > profiles/default-linux/x86/2004.0
21 > or
22 > profiles/default-x86-2004.0 (adjust to your environment).
25 This is the approach that I've been taking. What I'm missing is how to
26 effectively use /etc/portage/profile to implement *my* changes to my
27 chosen profile.
28
29 Backing up a step. I'm using portage-2.0.51_pre13 and make.profile is
30 symlinked to profiles/default-x86-2004. I have created
31 /etc/portage/virtuals with the packages that I want to satisfy a
32 virtual.
33
34 Now, this is where I hit the stumbling block. My definition of what
35 should be part of system and the official Gentoo definition are
36 different. In this specific case, I consider both a cron package and a
37 system logger to be system software (i.e. part of the system profile and
38 not part of the world file). I know that cascading profiles exist from
39 hanging out here in gentoo-dev, but I have been unable to find any
40 documentation on using them from a user perspective. So in this case,
41 how do I add virtual/cron and virtual/logger to *my* system profile?
42
43 As a side note, knowing how to do this also benefits "Enterprise
44 Gentoo". If defined correctly, it becomes a lot easier to build/rebuild
45 systems containing the same packages on multiple machines. Since I can
46 now define a desktop profile, a server profile, etc. If it's
47 configurable enough I could even go so far as to defining the server
48 profile differently based upon if it is a mail server vs. a web server,
49 etc.
50
51 Regards,
52 Paul