From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] OpenRC and SystemD Config File Parity
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 01:25:07
1 Hey everyone,
2
3 This isn't a topic meant for bike shedding, but just kind of loose
4 exploratory inquiry. I saw a bug report about adding systemd's
5 tmpfiles.d config format support to OpenRC (accomplished) and then
6 some discussion about adding an ebuild utility function (dotmpfiles_d)
7 or digging up something from systemd.eclass for this. This whole
8 discussion got me thinking --
9
10 To what degree is there parity of configuration formats between OpenRC
11 and SystemD? Obviously there will never be any sort of parity ever for
12 Unit files, but what about for the general parameters of the system?
13 machine-id, locale, timezone, hostname, et cetera.
14
15 I suppose when I refer to OpenRC, I'm really talking about Baselayout.
16
17 I guess more specifically what I'm wondering is:
18
19 - What is the current state of differences between config file formats
20 and locations used for OpenRC/Baselayout and SystemD?
21 - Is parity desirable? Are some people working on this?
22 - Are there advantages / disadvantages? Which files, for what, and why?
25 Anyway, if folks have opinions or thoughts, I'd love to hear them. But
26 this is just loose inquiry, not a pressing question for a project in
27 motion, so don't feel compelled to exsanguinate your soul here.
28
29 Jason