From: Matthew Marlowe <mattm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Thoughts on the whole gentoo future discussion
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:03:08
1 Hi all,
2
3 The following are just my opinions/summaries:
4
5 1) It appears that the most dissatisfied devs are those
6 who have been proponents of the "enterprise" aspect
7 of gentoo. When they say that not much has been
8 accomplished in the last 2 years, I think you have to
9 look at it from the enterprise point of view. GLEP19
10 never got anywhere. Other than small improvements,
11 I'm not sure anything positive has happened. If anything,
12 Gentoo appears to be heading more in the "desktop"
13 and "hobbyist" direction. That might be what they mean
14 when they say gentoo is becoming irrelevant.
15
16 Therefore, I think the devs who favor the desktop stuff
17 just really arent understanding how the enterprise devs
18 have been disillusioned here. Certainly, there is alot of
19 cool stuff happening in gentoo on the hobbyist and desktop
20 side.
21
22 2) Although the "future discussion" doesnt seem to be bringing
23 devs any closer together, I saw at least a few decent suggestions
24 that we should follow up on.
25
26 - Have a planned annual developers conference
27 I think this is critical, I would be willing to help with the implementation
28 if it gets the green light.
29
30 - Consider the possibility of eventually redefining gentoo entirely as a metadistribution
31 and have devs more formerly broken up into different teams of enterprise, desktop, etc
32 devs where the eventual product might be seperate trees or release media for each
33 team.
34 On the surface, this is appealing to me, but the implementation details are
35 probably impossible.
36
37 I would also like to thank kurt and lance for throwing out their thoughts on this subject, even
38 when their is quite alot of resistance.
39
40 Regards,
41 MattM
42 --