From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Major changes to the Gnome2 Eclasses
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:52:38
1 On Friday 14 March 2008 07:14:23 Rémi Cardona wrote:
2 > - the gnome2 eclass now has a pkg_preinst, if you do multiple
3 > inherits, make sure that gnome2_pkg_preinst is called too. The
4 > _games_eclass_ is one of those.
5
6 Maybe worth adding a dummy to the current version of the eclass so that
7 ebuilds can be updated now, instead of suddenly all at once as soon as the
8 new eclass is committed?
9
10 > - if you use functions from the gnome2-utils.eclass, things may not
11 > work as expected. The _xfce_eclasses_ are on that list.
12
13 Are you referring to the need to call gnome2_gconf_savelist in pkg_preinst if
14 the ebuild/eclass wants to use the gconf functions? What I said above goes
15 here as well.
16
17 A couple of things that aren't specific to the new eclass, but I noticed them
18 while checking:
19
20 > #gnome2_pkg_prerm() {
21 > # gnome2_gconf_uninstall
22 > #}
23
24 Should this really be commented out? If so, might be worth adding a comment
25 explaining why - it's not clear whether it's disabled because it's broken, or
26 not necessary, or whether ebuilds are expected to call gnome2_gconf_uninstall
27 explicitly if they need to.
28
29 > # Path to gconftool-2
30 > GCONFTOOL_BIN=${GCONFTOOL_BIN:="${ROOT}usr/bin/gconftool-2"}
31
32 > # Path to scrollkeeper-update
33 >
34 SCROLLKEEPER_UPDATE_BIN=${SCROLLKEEPER_UPDATE_BIN:="${ROOT}usr/bin/scrollkeeper-update"}
35
36 Those aren't going to work with cross-compilation (which isn't well-supported
37 by the current ebuild format, but best to be future-proof), since the
38 executables in ${ROOT} won't be able to run on the build machine.
39
40 > export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=$(${GCONFTOOL_BIN} --get-default-source)
41
42 I confess I don't know much about gconf, but that looks as though it'll always
43 return a path in /, not ${ROOT}, so it'll install the schemas in the /
44 database.
45 --
46 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list