From: Paul Smith <pausmith@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:43:43
1 %% Jay Maynard <jmaynard@××××××××.cx> writes:
2
3 jm> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 02:12:10PM +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
4 >> Because of this decision, the GNU system is not the same as the
5 >> collection of all GNU software. The GNU system includes programs that
6 >> are not GNU software, programs that were developed by other people and
7 >> projects for their own purposes, but which we can use because they are
8 >> free software." - Richard Stallman
9 >> (http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html)
10
11 jm> This is as morally reprehensible as SCO's claim that anything any
12 jm> of their licensees wrote for their Unix distributions is part of
13 jm> Unix.
14
15 Golly, I guess Gentoo must be even _more_ "morally reprehensible" than
16 either the FSF or SCO, eh?
17
18 I mean, they create a system that includes all kinds of free software
19 written by other people and they call it "Gentoo" without any permission
20 at all from all those developers! The horror!
21
22 At least the GNU folks actually _DO_ have copyright to the large
23 majority of the code in what they call "the GNU system"; the same can't
24 be said for Gentoo.
28 Just put down the soapbox... slowly... good... now back away...
32 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××××××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
33 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
35 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list