From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New global use flags: 3dnowext, mmxext, ssse3, sse4_1, avx, avx2
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 23:34:46
1 And at the same time, clean up the descriptions of the other flags.
2 The existing descriptions were clearly copy-and-pasted and contained
3 things like "faster floating point optimization for SSSE3 capable
4 chips" when SSSE3 didn't add any floating point instructions.
5
6 3dnow: Use the 3DNow! instruction set
7 3dnowext: Use the Enhanced 3DNow! instruction set
8 mmx: Use the MMX instruction set
9 mmxext: Use the Extended MMX instruction set (intersection of Enhanced
10 3DNow! and SSE instruction sets) (3dnowext or sse in cpuinfo)
11 sse: Use the SSE instruction set
12 sse2: Use the SSE2 instruction set
13 sse3: Use the SSE3 instruction set (pni in cpuinfo)
14 ssse3: Use the SSSE3 instruction set
15 sse4_1: Use the SSE 4.1 instruction set
16 avx: Use the AVX instruction set
17 avx2: Use the AVX2 instruction set
18
19 I'll make these changes in a few days.
20
21 We don't seem to have a use of an sse4_2 USE flag anywhere yet, notably.
22
23 Unfortunately we do have two uses of "sse4", which should be corrected
24 to be more specific:
25
26 media-libs/freeverb3
27 net-misc/bfgminer