From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFD] Adopt-a-package, proxy-maintenance, and other musings
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 23:49:11
1 On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 23:32:30 +0100
4 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >> The problem was, is and will be that packages are unmaintained. Not
6 >> that stats show that they are many.
7 >
8 > No it's not. Gentoo is about the community, and it's important for the
9 > community not to perceive that there is a problem. Being honest where
10 > users or Phoronix could pick up on it is bad PR. Let's not create a
11 > toxic perception of the state of the tree.
14 To be fair while at times I'm not a big fan of treecleaning things
15 that aren't horribly broken, I've never been opposed to marking them
16 as maintainer-needed. That's what they are. And I certainly don't
17 support hiding problems (and nor does our social contract).
18
19 Yes,I realize that by replying I'm basically accepting that the
20 criticism above applies to me. I'll agree that on the community vs
21 pragmatism scale I tend to fall more to the left sometimes. It isn't
22 a position without its disadvantages.
25 Rich