From: kang <kang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:16:50
1 Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2
3 >I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed by what I see compared to Aarons
4 >proposed look¹.
9 Agreed!
10
11 >a) Regarding the space below the two horizontal menus: A continuous image
12 >looks much better than these "cells" with a lot of useless and redundant
13 >links above them. If you think the space is wasted - well then drop it at all
14 >or make the image a small bar so there's more place for imformation.
17 Agreed: the cells are harder to read too, in fact, i think people will
18 not read any but visually skip them.
19 So might as well remove them completely.
20 This said, a design is not just a color theme and a few logo images.
21 When you remove parts or change them too much, the whole design gets
22 down. That's probably why we're disappointed vs the original design.
23 The big image was not just to be visually attractive but also makes the
24 bridge with the advertisement bar in the original design, for example.
25 I think it's one of the real major issues.
26
27 >b) Adverts: Title them as what they are and draw a line between contents and
28 >adverts. The way it is now is very unfriendly to the reader.
31 I think the original design did that nicely.
32
33 >c) The cow pictogram and the text beside it is completely superfluous.
36 This stuff could be put into the higher "cell/image" stuff, but nicer
37 (aka fitting the current design), IMHO. This would solve two issues too ;)
38
39 >e) I like the thre vertical menus with the pictres above them. But from a
40 >usability point of view it's really questionable to expect a first time user
41 >finds them instantly when there's so much information on the front page that
42 >he has to scroll down. Either limit the information and make an extra news
43 >page (including searchable archive, that's missing atm.) or drop these menus
44 >at all.
47 I think they're only useably in the original design point of view:
48 You *MUST* *SEE* the boxes when you load the page. If you have to scroll
49 down, it's void, bad, wrong, should be
50 changed/fixed/made_another_way/removed.
51
52 >f) Handbook and other links: Usually you want to read the page and not
53 >metadata about it. The summary/date/author part takes too much place and the
54 >title is redundant. Make that a box next to the title or what else, but don't
55 >let the first action a user has to do instead to read to press scroll down.
60 I don't know. i think boxes should be a bit avoided.
61 It looks ok on most pages [
62 http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/gwn.xml ], only has a problem
63 when we have a billion of authors/editors [
64 http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml ]
65 Maybe if alignement was less messy it would be still acceptable.
66
67 However, the title is, 100% redundant.
71 A few last things:
72 - On firefox/linux, at least, the right spacing is way too big. It looks
73 like a right column is missing, while there is no rigth column. Original
74 design had a way smaller spacing.
75
76 - "Older news" looks missaligned for the probably same reason
77
78 -the bottom/footer image grey "overline" is more dark above the
79 "www@g.o" url.
80 This is from the base design because of the ads boxes design. Either
81 implement the original ads design (good good! i like it! haha), either
82 just make it normal i guess :)
85 Ok, else it's a nice start. I just hope most things get fixed and that
86 it looks a bit more like original.
87 Congrats on the long work :)
90 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list