From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: an eclass for github snapshots?
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 15:53:46
1 On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:43:38 +0200
2 Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o> wrote:
3 > That leaves the question what to do with the approach for EAPI=2,3.
4 > I'd rather not risk breaking ebuilds by removing this support just
5 > for a violation of PMS if there is no real problem exposed by it.
6
7 The 'invariant' restriction on S in PMS is, strictly speaking, stronger
8 than it has to be. However, working out exactly what set of weaker
9 rules would be ok proved to be too difficult -- historically, Portage
10 has had various different behaviours for global scope variables that
11 are assigned variable values. Thus, PMS is the way it is there because
12 we know for sure that if you follow those rules you're safe; if you
13 don't, you'll definitely cause problems for EAPI 4, and you may or may
14 not get away with it for earlier EAPIs.
15
16 It's a bit like assuming that it's ok to dereference a null pointer
17 and get a zero, since that's what one particular system does...
20 Ciaran McCreesh