From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Distcc and SLP - request for testing
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:00:13
1 On Monday 21 November 2005 09:39, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Ned Ludd wrote:
3 > | On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 14:45 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 > |>Our policy for X is that if upstream won't accept it, we won't either.
5 > |>Perhaps you'd be interested in adopting that and convincing the reported
6 > |>to get upstream interested?
7 > |
8 > | Your policy for X is somewhat questionable Donnie as it puts us in a
9 > | catch 22. You wont accept patches unless they came from upstream and
10 > | upstream wants some testing or to put it off till a later date..It's a
11 > | continuing heartache dealing with X when something could of been fixed
12 > | months ago.
13 >
14 > Upstream CVS is the location for testing, not distros. Distributions
15 > should have a _more_ stable version of packages than unreleased CVS, not
16 > less.
17 >
18 > In addition, we're in the business of packaging source, not maintaining
19 > source. Taking on maintainance of all the source we package is
20 > unrealistic and is not why I do Gentoo.
21
22 I think one should look at this as there being three kinds of patches:
23 - Those that add new features. If they are not upstream maintained they don't
24 belong in the tree.
25 - Those that fix bugs. If the bugs are real and the patches are reasonable in
26 quality and fix the bugs they help the users make things work.
27 - Those that do a mix of things. Only in extreme cases useful, but in general
28 should be split out into the specific things they do.
29
30 Paul
33 Paul de Vrieze
34 Gentoo Developer