From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Regarding the State of PaX in the tree
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 07:22:48
1 >>>>> On Mon, 16 Apr 2018, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > W dniu nie, 15.04.2018 o godzinie 20∶04 -0400, użytkownik
4 > Anthony G. Basile napisał:
5 >> The question then is, do we remove all this code? As thing stands,
6 >> its just lint that serves no current purpose, so removing it would
7 >> clean things up. The disadvantage is it would be a pita to ever
8 >> restore it if we ever wanted it back. While upstream doesn't
9 >> provide their patch for free, some users/companies can purchase the
10 >> grsecurity patches and still use a custom hardened-sources kernel
11 >> with Gentoo. But since we haven't been able to test the pax
12 >> markings/custom patches in about a year, its hard to say how useful
13 >> that code might still be.
14
15 For Emacs, hardened support was quite a headache in the past, due to
16 its unexec mechanism; see bugs 285778, 411439, 426394, 456970, 497498,
17 515122, 529172, their duplicates, and the upstream bugs linked from
18 them. We cannot safely assume that any new (hardened kernel, or Emacs)
19 version will work out of the box. Therefore, I am inclined to either
20 remove the pax_kernel flag from my ebuilds, or to package.use.mask it
21 at least, in order to make clear that this is no longer a supported
22 configuration.
23
24 > One thing Hardened project should do is make a clear statement to
25 > other developers -- i.e. indicate whether I should CC hardened@ when
26 > someone has PaX problems and doesn't provide a patch, or just close
27 > the bug saying that we can't solve it without a patch.
28
29 I would even go one step further and tell people to sort things out
30 with upstream. First, because I cannot reasonably upstream patches for
31 an unsupported configuration that I cannot test. Second, since they
32 have purchased the grsecurity patches, they should also ask grsecurity
33 for support. Why should I as an unpaid volunteer spend my time on it?
34
35 Ulrich