From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving GCC-3.4 to stable on x86
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:44:04
1 On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 15:01 +0000, Mike Williams wrote:
2 > On Monday 28 November 2005 14:22, Mark Loeser wrote:
3 > > This is basically a heads-up email to everyone to say that we are probably
4 > > going to be moving gcc-3.4.4-r1 to stable on x86 very soon. If any of the
5 > > archs that have already done the move from having 3.3 stable to 3.4 could
6 > > give us a heads up on what to expect, that would be great. Only thing I
7 > > see as lacking is we might want to get a doc together on how to properly
8 > > upgrade your toolchain so we don't get an influx of bugs from users that
9 > > have a system half compiled with 3.3 and the other half with 3.4 so they
10 > > get linking errors.
11 >
12 > Shouldn't this be a profile thing? i.e. 200{4,5}.X stays at 3.3.X, 2006.X-> go
13 > to 3.4.X
14
15 Nope.
16
17 While it would be possible to limit it to a specific profile, it really
18 makes it a pain in the ass, especially for two versions that are almost
19 compatible, as opposed to the profiles that we have done in the past
20 where we were going from things like gcc2 to gcc3, that were not very
21 compatible, at all.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
26 x86 Architecture Team